Prev: Stargrunt WW2 Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

From: Scott Nolan <nolan@p...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 05:22:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

>One assumes the "A" is for Auxillery....

One is probably right.

>> CGH -    Light Aircraft Carrier
>> CVL -    Light Aircraft Carrier
>
>Just thought I'd ask about these two....

Differing nationalities.

>> LHA -    Amphibious Assault Ship (General Purpose)
>> LHD -    Amphibious Assault Ship (Multi-Purpose)

>And what's the difference here?

Not a whole hell of a lot, that I can see.  The U.S. has five "Tarawa"
class LHDs and five "Wasp" class LHAs.	The Wasp is about 20 years
younger
than the Tarawa.  The Tarawa displaces 39,000 tons, while the Wasp
displaces 28,000.  Their missions, complements and aircraft are very
similar.  Both carry a reinforced battalion of Marines, along with
helicopters and Harrier V/STOL jets.

Scott

Prev: Stargrunt WW2 Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)