Prev: Re: Full Thrust Game for List Members, at GenCon Next: Re: Full Thrust Game for List Members, at GenCon

Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:01:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:

> a miniatures game, though, it is intended for play on a hex map, and
the hex
> map distorts the movement.

Well... it does. While I agree, I think in essence you're saying EVERY
tactical hex-based space game is fundamentally flawed.

I don't know the rules, but is there any reason why hexes MUST be used?
Nothing's easier than dumping the map, one hex == 1 inch (or whatever)
and
1 hexside turn == UP TO 60 degrees turn.

The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't work is if the game
uses
complex manuever diagrams (e.g. starting here, do half-loop to end
here).

> While bad enough in itself, this will potentially become intolerable
>when the
> ship design system is introduced, for two reasons.

Are you sure there's going to BE a ship design system? Design and point
systems are typically the first ones to go when the game has to be
"streamlined".

> Second, even if the original ships do not become
> illegal, it promises to make them suboptimal designs.

OR overoptimal, provided they are ruled legal through "exceptions".

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Full Thrust Game for List Members, at GenCon Next: Re: Full Thrust Game for List Members, at GenCon