Prev: FULL THRUST font Next: Re: Building Babylon 5.

Re: Damage Tracks

From: jjm@z... (johnjmedway)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 11:25:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Damage Tracks

>>  Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 23:22:02 -0500
>>  From: Brian Bell <PDGA6560@compuserve.com>
>>  Subject: Re: Damage Tracks
>>  Example: A 50 ton ship has 5 sections of 5 damage points. After
taking 5
>>  points of damage it rolls threshold rolls. The engine, FTL, Wave
Gun, &
>>  2-A Bats survive before an Screen rolls a 6. The Screen is damaged
and no
>>  more rolls are made. The ship then takes 6 points of damage the next

>>  turn. The ship rolls a 6 for the engines. The engines are damage and
no
>>  further rolls are made. The ship then takes 4 more points of damage
and
>>  has now reached the end of the 3rd section. The ship makes threshold

>>  rolls for the 3rd section. The engine survives, but the FTL is
damaged on
>>  a roll of a 6. The rolls continue 2-ABats and 3 screens avoid
damage.
>>  Then a 6 is rolled for a PDAF. The PDAF is damaged and no further
rolls
>>  are made. The ship then takes 6 more points of damage but no 6's are

>>  rolled during the threshold roll, so no systems are damaged.

By this system, it seems that your 50 ton ship can not suffer more than
5 system failures as a result of Threshold checks. That seems far too
slight to me. So, how about with each threshold check, the maximum
number
of systems that can go down in that check is the row of the check, i.e.,

on the first check only one system can die, on the second two _more
(even
if one's already dead), on the third three _more, etc.

With this scheme, your 50-ton ship could suffer, at most, 1+2+3+4+5 = 15

system failures as a result of threshold checks. Given that rolls would
be for 6s, you'd almost never get that many, but better to allow it than
artificially cap damage.

As for the order of checks, how can we easily represent that system so
that it is obvious what gets checked first, second, third, ..., and how
can we decide which A-bat to check first, second, third, etc.

---
|  john_medway@zycor.lgc.com  |  Landmark Graphics Corp  |  512.292.2325

---
|		 "I am not a user. I am a human being."

---

Prev: FULL THRUST font Next: Re: Building Babylon 5.