Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Some random thoughts on Ship Damage

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:58:45 -0500
Subject: Some random thoughts on Ship Damage

	Here's a thought that occured to me on the way home tonight,
whilst
I was dozing on the train....
	When a Ship takes damage equal to or grather than it's hull
points,
it is considered disabled.  It is, for all intents and purposes, out of
the
game, but it is not actually destroyed.  It continues moving at the same
speed and heading that it had when it was disabled (or, alternatively,
continues making the same manuever that it made in its last turn, over
and
over.  +2p1, again and again, spiraling off the board....) until it
leaves
the board.  If a ship takes damage equal to double its hull points, it
blows
up.  Real good.  Here's the relevant bits: this allow captains to "Play
'Possum", claiming that his ship is disabled, drifting away from the
battle,
until someone passes into his port arc, where that last remaining
submunition is waiting, patiently....  And, in a campaign game, disabled
ships may be able to be recovered and repaired, while destroyed ships
are so
much random debris.
	As another idea, if a ship takes damage *exactly* equal to its
hull
points, it is close enough to functional that it might actually be
jury-rigged back into service.	All of the ship's damage control teams
must
be assigned to the job, and a six must be rolled for EACH of them on the
same turn (this obviously makes it more difficult to bring the huge
ships
back on-line).	If this occurs, then the ship is considered to have one
hull
point and whatever systems were working when the ship was disabled.
	I don't know how this would work out on the gaming table, but I
suspect that it would not make TOO much difference in a game.  After the
first captain successfully fakes his opponent out, disabled ships would
almost certainly take a major pounding just in case.  Still, the idea
appeals to me.	What does everyone think?

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!