Prev: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!) Next: C batteries / PDAF

Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

From: jjm@z... (johnjmedway)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:43:38 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

>>  To: FTGZG-L <FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk>
>>  From: Alun Thomas <alun.thomas@cbis.com>
>>  Date: 25 Feb 97 17:26:51
>>  Subject: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion
>>  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of keeping all
threshold
>>  rolls the same, and using the shape of the damage track to vary
their
>>  frequency - makes ship design take a little longer, but could speed
up
>>  play.

And different cultures/shipyards get different basic layouts of hits.

Say you're using B5 (since I gave up on the silly background in FT/MT
when I read it, this seems one of the more widely accepted standards),
and say an Earth Force-style Cruiser/Destroyer and a Narn-style BC each
have 20 hits (absurdly small, but it's the shape we're after, not
millions
of rows of 0s for the example):

Earth Force		    Narn
-----------		    ----
(fragile open structure     (compactness -->
 and rotating section)	     sturdiness)
  0000			    00000000
  0000			    000000
  000			    0000
  000			    00
  00
  00
  00

The Narn can be hammered for 19 points in one turn and roll 3d6 looking
for 6s. The Earth Force wreckage would be rolling 6d6 looking for 6s,
showing how much more easily their ships can be trashed.

---
|  john_medway@zycor.lgc.com  |  Landmark Graphics Corp  |  512.292.2325

---
|		 "I am not a user. I am a human being."

---

Prev: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!) Next: C batteries / PDAF