Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

From: Jim Bell & Christine Hartig <jnbell@i...>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:32:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> NEW DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM:
>
> 1) Artificial distinctions removal

This is OK as long as you can respond to problems caused by change
number 2.

> 2) Thrust assignment

I consider this change to be very dangerous if the thrust is still
related to the ability to turn a ship. I like the idea of being able to
build a fast capital ship but, it shouldn't be easy to make the big
sucker turn. I know you said no new rules but two types of thrust are
required speed and maneuvering. The maneuvering thrust should provide
the abiliy to turn and some how cost more mass to provide the same
turning ability. The relationship of mass to maneuvering I'll leave to
someone else.

> 3) Battery mass.

No problem for me but I'm sure that others are not going to like this
one.

> 4) Rear-arc fire MAY be allowed (for weapons that bear there)

Just increase the range band to the target by one if the firing ship
uses the main engines.

> 5) Fighter movement increases (24" or 36"?)

This does make the fighters effective again against move moving ships.
This opens another question though, do missiles use the same thrust
system? If they do then are they also going to get a speed upgrade.

> 6) Fire arcs

If your going to use 60 degree arcs for forward and aft, keep it simple
just use all arcs as 60 degrees. I like the 60 degree arc then
forward/aft 180s are possible, as well as the port/forward or
starboard/forward 180s

> So, there are some ideas - think them over and let me know the
reactions -
> either to the list or direct email (at this stage, please don't send
loads
> of alternative rules - I'd appreciate just reaction to the above, so I
can
> gauge feelings on it.)

Overall I like the possible changes but number 2 could be very scary.