Prev: Re: Artificial Intelligence Discussion Next: Re: Fighter launch question

Re: FTIII/classes redefined

From: Hal Carmer <hal@b...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:08:09 -0500
Subject: Re: FTIII/classes redefined

Just an opinion - one that I don't expect will be used per se, but to
point out some "errors" in concepts overall...

  If we use the concept of extra boxes and rows, might I suggest that we

Rational:  On smaller ships, one massive strike will do, well, massive
damage.  The chances of getting a lot of systems failures will be
exceedingly high.  However, on a Capital ship, such a massive hit might
not be all that "massive" with respect to the percentage volume/mass of
the ship.  Therefore, it would take more of those "massive" hits to
bring
the capital ship to the same state of existance as the smaller ship.
Let's take an example of what I mean...

Suppose you have a small ship with 4 rows of damage boxes.  Each row has
one "threshold" check involved.  Each row has only one damage box in it.
A volley doing 3 points of damage, will wipe out three rows all at once.
This would force a threshold check for a 6,5,and 4 respectively.  This
small ship will suffer a lot of systems failures <grin>.  On the other
hand, a Capital ship with 4 rows, each with 10 boxes in it, wouldn't
even
notice a similar volley.

  Another suggestion might be to do this:

Break each row into a set number of groups, each group destroyed in a
row
causes a systems check equal to the value of that row.	Thus, a capital
ship might look like this:

6: OOO OOO
5: OOO OOO
4: OOO OOOO

  Where each "circle" represents a damage box on the control sheet.  The
examples I am using are off the top of my head, and not to canon
examples.

  In any case, I don't like the idea that a smaller ship can be badly
damaged enough to function fully one turn, and then explode the next
turn,
with a mere 2 or 3 points of damage.

  I think rational wise, each ship should get an equal number of
"threshold check rows", but get unequal numbers of damage boxes.  By
using
groups within rows, you can bypass the problem of "invulnerable" types
of
CAPITAL and SUPER ships...

Just musing...

      Hal

Prev: Re: Artificial Intelligence Discussion Next: Re: Fighter launch question