Prev: Borg ships Next: Re: Fighter groups (designer please read)

Re: TV Space Tactics (Was: Trek/SFB conversions)

From: tfgarr@s...
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 06:28:52 -0500
Subject: Re: TV Space Tactics (Was: Trek/SFB conversions)

Date:	       Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:48:05 -0500 (EST)
From:	       AEsir@aol.com
To:	       FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

Hello Everyone,
  I just joind this newsgroup but I have been playing FT and fled Star
Fleet
Baristers a long time ago.  I'm a Naval Officer by trade and tactics are
difficult enough to understand as it is.  Applying concepts to new
technology
and developing tactics and doctrine is hard enough.  Explaining them to
civilians (even wargamers) is even harder (although some wargamers know
tactics better that military officers...).
  I tried to explain some ideas to J. Micheal Strazsinski about some of
the
vernacular he was mis using, he was polite but not interested...  While
his
story is more about characters and overall strategy, and so some
tactical
issues fall to the wayside, he does an incredible job of  using a brief
scene
to convey incredible tactical images.  Much like Robert Heinlein's
minimalistic imagery in Star Ship Troopers.
  I enjoy the show, its the best there is, but we all would like to see
even
more.  Just contrast B5 with A&E trying to explain a battle scene, JMS
does
well.
  Phil Pournelle

   Double " R" , please, Sir, in barrister
	   Bye

Prev: Borg ships Next: Re: Fighter groups (designer please read)