Prev: Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls Next: Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls

Re: Fighter groups

From: "Cleyne, Daniel" <DCleyne@v...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 01:10:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighter groups

> There is no limit, but there is the law of diminishing returns. Normal
> fighter-equiped ships can only launch 1 fighter group per turn.
Official
> carriers can only launch 2 fighter groups per turn. No ship may
recover
> more than 1 fighter group per turn. (All from FT page 16) Fighters
only
> have a "life" of 6 turns (3 active, 3 returning) [yes, I know they can
> launch before spending endurance]. A large ship may carry more than 6
> fighter groups, but getting enough fighters launched in time is
another
> problem.  Recovering a large number of fighter groups is an even
bigger
> problem.
> "Casualty report: 120 fighters launched, 20 lost to enemy fire, 48
lost
> to oxygen starvation/hyperthermia due to lack of recovery, 52
> successfully recovered."

Having re-read the rules I realised that the 3 active turns are only
expended when the fighter group is engaged in combat. Thus transport
turns where they are only moving and not engaging anything do not cost
endurance points. So theoretically you can get more than 6 turns range
out of a fighter group. What disturbs me about the Endurance rules is
the furthest your fighter group can travel after using your last point
of endurance is 36". That puts your carrier within A-Battery Range. Does
anyone else baulk at bringing their most expensive (and usually least
defended) ship so close to the pointy end of the battle?

I agree with the intent of the endurance rules but I think the return
range after endurance expenditure should be lengthened to say 6 turns or
something like that.

comments?

Dan

Prev: Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls Next: Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls