Prev: Star Wars micromachines Next: What are the Rules on Energy Mines?

Re: Amphibious Ships

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:53:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Amphibious Ships

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, John Fox wrote:

> Dear FT gang:
>   I am new to the game (ie I have only been able to locate a Full
Thrust not
> a More Thrust book)
>   Question:  How effective are missiles given the following
restrictions

> Move:  normal (ie 18 x 3 then within 6 )
> ECM (causes a -1 to hit)
> Normal possibility of hitting

<SNIP>

> Doing lots of thinking and wondering is CA, USA
> John

There is no "to Hit" with missiles, only damage.  A normal missile will
automatically damage it's target if it's within 6" and in arc.	EMP and
needle misiles require a roll to determine level of effect but there is
no real to hit roll.  ECM could be used to modify damage, i.e. ECM
causes
-2 points of damage or something similar to indicate that the missile
was
detonated further from the target.

Try a game with total missile carriers which fire their missiles and
scoot.	I don't think the people you play with will appreciate the
gesture.  It can be annoying and time consuming having loads of missiles

on the board at one time, however missiles are only cost effective in
large numbers.	This is because as much as 50% of you missiles will not
hit a target if you use the missile movement rules where missiles move
before ships move their movement.  YOu have to predict where the ship
will be at the end of the turn and most people will cover the spread
rather than picking just one spot.  This is easier against capital ships

than escorts because capitals are a) slower and b) turn slower and so
are
usually easier to predict.

Defense against missiles is the same as against fighters, either a lot
of
*DAF or high speeds.

--Binhan

Prev: Star Wars micromachines Next: What are the Rules on Energy Mines?