Prev: Re: Re[2]: Ogres in DSII Next: Re: Still Lousy After All These Years

Re: Firecons

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:04:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Firecons

Darryl writes,

> We recently had a situation arise while battling in dust clouds.
>  After nominating that certain batteries were going to fire on a
particular

> ship we rolled to get a weapons lock, and failed.
>  My opponent then declared that because the weapons had not been fired
and
> because their ship had 3 firecons that they could try to fire the same

> batteries by attempting to get a lock on with the next firecon and if
that
> failed with the next one.
>  The rules state that firecons can be used to target multiple
opponents not

> the same ship multiple times.
>  Any Ideas??

Well, in the regular rules, say you have a cruiser with both beams and
torpedoes (or needle beams). You need one firecon for each type of
system,
right? There doesn't seem to be any reason you couldn't fire both beams
and
torpedoes at the same target, so you *have* targetted the same ship with
2
firecons. And we've certainly never tied firecons to specific weapons --
if
you lose 1 firecon, you are only limited in the number of weapons you
can
fire, not which ones.

So I don't think there's anything in the rules that says you can't do it
that
way if you want. I *would* say that if you want to use redundant
firecons
like that, you must declare it before rolling any dice, ie -- if you
allocate
3 firecons to lock onto the same ship and make it with the first one,
you
can't turn around and use the other firecons to engage different
targets.

OTOH, if you want to only allow 1 roll per ship, then you could simply
make
it a function of sensors rather than firecons, maybe giving bonuses to
enhaced/superior sensors.

Your game; your rule. (God, I really love FT!)

Scott

RABID: Foaming ominously at the mouth, like a mad dog or an activist on
either side of the abortion issue.

Prev: Re: Re[2]: Ogres in DSII Next: Re: Still Lousy After All These Years