Prev: Re: Mark: THE MONSTER KILLER Next: Re: Trek/SFB conversions

Re: Trek/SFB conversions

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 02:32:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Trek/SFB conversions

One thing I've been thinking on regarding Star Trek/SFB ships is linking
of
power to engines.  In Star Trek, the silly Warp Engines are always going
offline, leaving the ship without sufficient power to fight, run, or
operate
the cigarette lighter.	The opposing theory of ship power as seen in
Traveller, etc. is that the ship has a bunch of fusion reactors buried
in the
center of the ship and the power from those runs the engines.  If the
ship
takes enough damage to reach the reactors, its a goner anyway.	This
system
also allows fire into the rear arc, which is seen in the Star Trek
universe.
  I want to be able to use this as an alternative drive in the same
universe
as the regular drives.	Certain races in the game (bearing striking
simularities to Klingons and Federation) would use this system and I
hope
that the power loss would balance the loss of the rear arc restriction.
I'm
not sure if that is the case though.  One idea is to possible have Warp
drive
be slightly more efficient, giving a small amount more space available
for
weapons, etc.  ANy comments?

Warp Drive:

Replaces normal FTL drive and provides FTL capability and main power for
ship
systems.  The Warp drives take two hits to destroy, as per main
thrusters.
 Since the warp drives provide power as well as FTL capability, when the
drives take damage, the player loses power to certain systems.	 With
the
first hit, the player must take 1/3 (round down) of his current systems
offline.  The player chooses which and marks them in some way.	The
systems
taken offline can be changed during the damage control portion of the
turn as
long as correct number remain offline.	The old "I can give you phaser
power,
but we won't be able to use the transporters" gambit.  The second hit on
the
warp drives forces the player to take another 1/3 of his systems
offline.

Impulse Drives:  Function exactly as normal Main Drives except that they
are
only used in conjunction with Warp Drives and create no interference
into the
rear arc.

Prev: Re: Mark: THE MONSTER KILLER Next: Re: Trek/SFB conversions