Prev: Re:The Digital Battlefield Next: Re: FT: Thank God for Dremel!

Re: FT-Multiplayer Games

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:13:15 -0500
Subject: Re: FT-Multiplayer Games

John Kovalic wrote:
>Well, I'm running my first multiplayer game tomorrow.
>
> There should be between three to five players per side.The game should
>last around two and a half hours. (Our normal gaming time is 7-10 p.m.)
>Most players will be learning the rules as we start.
>
> Do people who have had experience with this think I should assign
every
>player approximately:
>
>A) One Cruiser and two Destroyers  each
>
>B) One Battleship and two Crusers each
>
>C) One Battleship or Dreadnought each
>
>D) Something else (smaller commands, larger commands)?

We have discussed this several times...I think we need an FAQ on this
out on
the Web page.  What do you think Mark?

Since your time is short, keep your fleets small, like your examples.
Try
with maybe 1000pts or less per fleet and I would suggest using a variety
of
ship types per fleet, but each fleet having a similar composition.

When we run games for new players, we use about 1500pts per fleet with
each
fleet containing 1 capital, 1-2 cruisers, and 2-3 escorts.  This way
players
can learn how each ship type behaves in combat.  Also, we are using 4+
hour
game times.

Additional stuff:
* Practice your rules explanation beforehand.  This will help with your
delivery and keep the game moving.
* Try making some cheat sheets listing basic weapon types and their
stats to
help players with finding relevant data.
* Bring extra pencils (sharp ones!).
* Bring lots of D6s.
* If this is at a place of business, make sure you follow and enforce
all
rules for the establishment.
* Bring a sense of humor.  Some players seem to forget this is a game.
* More... (but work summons me back...)

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re:The Digital Battlefield Next: Re: FT: Thank God for Dremel!