Prev: Re: Play by email FT Next: Re: Anime

Re: Play by email FT

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:45:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Play by email FT

Geoff wrote,

> I'm interested in potentially running a small game for a few
>  friends who don't get to meet half as often as we would like,
>  (sound familiar ?) but I'm not sure how to go about it.
>
>  Would anyone with experience of doing this drop me a line to
>  give me some idea of how to organise the whole thing ? I would
>  greatly appreciate any hints you may have to offer, particularly
>  in the area of keeping track of relative locations of ships
>  and headings etc.

Hi Geoff, I'm one of the guys Jon and Mark mentioned as currently
running a
PBeM FT game. I am also one of the last sentient being without a web
page, so
I can't just tell you to go to such-n-such URL to see how I run things.
;-)

Like Jon, I also use Excel spreadsheets to plot ship movement, calculate
range and firing arcs and generate maps. The turn reports I word-process
by
hand; it's too hard to do with the format I use. (A sane man would
change the
report format to make it easier, but then sane men are in such short
supply
around here....) I also do all die-rolling myself, but I believe some
people
smarter than me have automated this.

If you want more information, e-mail me direct and I'll be happy to
answer
your questions. If you like, I can also add you to the "lurker's" list
for my
game (currently on turn 8 and just starting to get bloody!) so you can
follow
along.

>  Thanks,
>
>  Geoff (who clearly has too much time and not enough sense.)

Both essential job requirements for a PBeM ref!

Scott Field
fieldscott@aol.com

SELF-HELP: An American industry founded on the premise that most people
are
miserable being themselves and would gladly pay any number of authors,
psychologists and mountebacks who hold out the promise of becoming
somebody
else.

Prev: Re: Play by email FT Next: Re: Anime