Prev: Re: Micromachine Conversions Next: Re: Space Operas

Re: Realistic movement thoughts

From: Alan Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:07:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Realistic movement thoughts

Michael Carter Llaneza wrote:

> I dunno, back in 1978 we cut our teeth on Starfire and Star Fleet
> Battles (ziplock baggies, $4.95). Shortly thereafter, 1980 or so, we
> were playing Vector-3 from SPI. Since no one here other than a few
> old-timers remember that, it involved vector based movement in 3-D.
> Real vector mechanics, 3-d tactics, tractor beams et al. No real
> tactics unfortunately.

But then there was also Battlefleet Mars (again by SPI). I must disagree
about the tactics though: when raiding, for example, a space station,
you must make sure your exposure time is limited (or you take many
casualties). This means a high relative velocity closing the station.
But then you run into the screening force, which will often disable your
drives to some degree, so you can't slow down enough when you get
there...
The trick was to "sucker" the enemy fleet into taking a vector off your
main line of advance, disabling his drives, while retaining a vector
that would bring you to the required position/velocity even if your
drives were shot up.More difficult in 3-D than 2-D, but not much more
so.
--
----------------------	    <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
---------------------- o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Micromachine Conversions Next: Re: Space Operas