Prev: Space Operas Next: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks...

Re: Space Operas

From: "<Mark Andrew Siefert>" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:20:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Space Operas

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Robert Kerrigan wrote:

> I just finished what could be described as a first rate space opera.
The
> book is Crusade by David Weber and Steve White.  The Russians,
Americans,
> and Chinese have all been drawn together into the Terran Federation
and
> peace abounds.  Our old enemy the Orions (ala Star Trek Lyrans) are of
> course now our friends.  When suddenly out of deep space, from a
vector we
> thought impossible comes the Thebans, and they are out to liberate
Holy
> Mother Terra for Saint-Jus.

	I haven't read Crusade just yet.  All I know about if is that's
its set in the Starfire game backgroud. (Weber wrote the current version
of
the rules.)  But given the way he wrote the Honor Harrington books, I
can
imagine that it's a good read.

> With the exception of transiting between stars the backround would fit
> perfectly with FT/MT.  The bad guys are theocratical fanatics.  While
the
> book neatly keeps all but two Orions out of the picture, they are
given
> enough of a backround that they too could play a part.

	I don't think it should be too hard.  Ships would be non-FTL and

someone would have to figure out the warp point rules.	Wasn't Jerry Han

working on some Starfire conversion rules for FT?

> I recomend this for the quick fun read if nothing else, but also as a
good
> backround source book too.  The pertenient ifo is below.

	Currently, I'm engrossed in the Weber's second Honor Harrington
book
("Honor of the Queen") and I'll probably immediatly start the third
after I'm
done with it.  I'll see if I can squeeze it in.  (I'm begining to get
into
Starfire, so it would be good if I can get some background.  It's a good

game--I just think the rule book illustrations are are very cheesey.)

Later,
Mark S.

Prev: Space Operas Next: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks...