Prev: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks... Next: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks...

Re: Realistic movement thoughts

From: Michael Carter Llaneza <mllaneza@s...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:33:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Realistic movement thoughts

At 10:00 AM -0800 1/20/97, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Mark A. Siefert wrote:
>
>> Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>> >
>> > I saw somewhere that Jon plans to incorporate the 'Realistic
movement
>> > rules' in the new FT edition. Good!
>>
>>	Personally I think that the realistic rules should be an
optional
>> rule.  It would make the game much more appealing to new players if
the
>> normal "semi-vector" rules  were still there.  I just taught my 11
year
>> old cousin how to play, and I think that the trying to grasp concepts
>> like vector movement might drive him MAD.
>
>I agree fully. The realistic rules should be in the 'advanced' section
of
>the rules. However, if they are included at all, they need polishing...
>
>Oerjan Ohlson

I dunno, back in 1978 we cut our teeth on Starfire and Star Fleet
Battles (ziplock baggies, $4.95). Shortly thereafter, 1980 or so, we
were playing Vector-3 from SPI. Since no one here other than a few
old-timers remember that, it involved vector based movement in 3-D.
Real vector mechanics, 3-d tactics, tractor beams et al. No real
tactics unfortunately. At that point we were 10-14 years old. So there
must still be a few kids who can handle real 3-d movement left in this
world. God, I hope so.

Michael Carter Llaneza
http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Processor	     Clock Speed       Bytemark Integer Benchmarks
Pentium 	       90 MHz			      1.0
Pentium 	      200 MHz			      2.1
PowerPC 603e	      117 MHz			      2.2
Pentium Pro	      200 MHz			      2.8
PowerPC 603e	      200 MHz			      3.8
PowerPC 604e	      200 MHz			      4.5

Prev: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks... Next: Re: PLEASE READ, this is important folks...