Prev: Re: Micromachine Conversions Next: Re: FT Battles

RE: The Digital Battlefield

From: thomas.granvold@E... (Tom Granvold)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:01:04 -0500
Subject: RE: The Digital Battlefield

Joachim Heck wrote:
>   For anyone considering writing an FT map-drawing program or a
> program for working out FT movements, I strongly encourage that you
> take a serious look at Java as the language to use. ...
> Of course I work for Sun so you can
> take my statements with a grain of salt, but I really do believe this
> is a perfect environment for Java.

     I agree, but then again I work at Sun also, Sun Microelectronics
to be specific.  I suspect a lot of people use PC machines, with a few
like me using a Mac at home, and of course some at work on Unix systems.

>   Also anyone considering creating such a project in Java should
> probably talk to me or Daryl Lonnon (if he still reads this list)
> about some of the stuff we've done.  Among other things, we created an
> automatic map-generator with ship identification (including all ship
> status), hypothetical movement calculation and range and arc
> determination. ...

    I've though about doing such a project partly to use the program and
partly as an exercise to learn Java.  Maybe it's time to get off my duff
and do it.  I'd love to see your code, and I'll see what I can put
together.

Enjoy,
Tom Granvold				<thomas.granvold@eng.sun.com>

Prev: Re: Micromachine Conversions Next: Re: FT Battles