Prev: Re: FT Battles Next: Re: Micromachine Conversions

Re: DSII Questions

From: Ludo Toen <Ludo.Toen@p...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 13:40:47 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII Questions

M.J.Elliott@uk22p.bull.co.uk wrote:

> Ludo Toen wrote:
> >To be honest I haven't found ANYTHING about GMS having a 360° arc.
> >The capacity given in the rules seems to mean they can be mounted in
> >restricted frontal arc only.
>
> Because GMS systems are _guided_ weapons there is no fire arc
limitation
> and can fire all round (360°). The low capacity is because they are
usually
> externally mounted (a bit like TOW systems).

Looking at modern day missiles this isn't very realistic. First the
missile needs to lock onto
its target, which is difficult when looking the other way. You may argue
that the target data could be downloaded to the missile but this brings
us to my other point: missile propulsion. The rocket motor on
all but the biggest missiles (ICBM size) have solid powder engines.
These burn up in just a few seconds,
the missile continues by pure inertia. Tight turns use up way too much
energy and the missiles' control surfaces are too small to force such
tight turns.

For those who have seen pictures of TOW or the like flying to its target
with what seems to be an exhaust,
sorry its a tracer to allow the operator to see the missile's flight
path.

(EOD mode off)

Ludo

Prev: Re: FT Battles Next: Re: Micromachine Conversions