Prev: Re: Ion Cannons Next: Re: Bay area (was Re: New to the List)

Re: Ion Cannons

From: Brian Bell <103311.1205@c...>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 22:36:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Ion Cannons

>With the impending release of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions
(US
> release dates of 1/31 for SW, 2/21 for TESB, and 3/7 for RotJ) it is
time
> to dust-off the FT-Star Wars conversions.
>
> One of the weapons often mentioned in this universe is the Ion Cannon.
> have not seen a FT conversion of an Ion Cannon that fits my vision of
this
> weapon that damages systems but not structure, so I created the my
own.

> -Ion Cannon-
>	 Mass	    Cost     Dice Rolls 0"-10"	 10"-20"    20"-30"
> Light   2	  5+2/arc		 2d6	   1d6
> Heavy   3	  8+3/arc		 3d6	   2d6	      1d6
>
> Firing is handled the same as beam batteries.  Hits are calculated the

> same as beams (1-3 no hits, 4-5 1 hit, 6 2 hits).  Armor and screens
do
> not reduce hits.  Hits calculated do not mark off damage boxes but
> instead are the potential number of systems destroyed by threshold
rolls
> caused by the Ion Cannon hit.  A threshold roll of 5-6 indicates the
> system was destroyed.  Once the number of systems destroyed equals the

> total number of hits rolled, no more threshold rolls are made.  The
order
> in which systems have threshold rolls is up to the target ship's
player.
> Each system can only be rolled for only once due to hits from a single

> ship's fire.	There is the potential that no systems will be destroyed
if
> hits are made.  If a second ship hits the target ship with Ion Cannon
> fire, a new set threshold rolls would commence.
> -----------
>No nasty remarks but I think it would benefit from two things:
>1.  Force some kind of order (start with systems "on the side" hit
from/or
>systems that can fire into side hit from)
>2.  Disruption of fire control/manuevering or something.  The ion
cannon
>fired	       from Hoth sure affected the Star Destroyer.  I think
maybe for
>each hit	  scored, one firecon is disrupted for 1 turn?

I agree, an order is required. Since we are talking destroyed (as needle

gun) as opposed to damaged (and repairable as threshold roll), I would
also suggest other limitations:
  - 1 arc of fire only.
  - limit firing rate when mounted on ships (similar to the wave gun).

Brian Bell
103311.1205@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html
** Come visit and publish your ship designs in the Ship Registry **

Prev: Re: Ion Cannons Next: Re: Bay area (was Re: New to the List)