Prev: Re: Wing Commander for FT? Next: Re: Dirtside II rules question

Re: Dirtside II rules question

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@a...>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:44:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Dirtside II rules question

Chen-Song Qin wrote:
> What kind of stats do you have for RL vehicles in DSII?  A lot of
people
> have given them very weak stats because the models are very small
compared
> to the DSII line and to EPIC Space Marine.

In the few engagements I've used the DSII versions in, we've used the
conversions found on one of the web pages.  Not bad; I still have to
convert the Ferrox Rex over.  Fun in the sun

> As a owner of the rules for RL itself, I think the weapons are too
weak
> for the technology they are supposed to have.  It takes forever to
kill
> just a medium tank!  I personally think that the vehicles should last
> lot shorter than they do in RL.  (it is much better in DSII where the
> average weapon can kill the average tank with basically one shot, the
game
> flows much faster)  Still, like you, I like the detailed TO&E they
give
> you for RL.  The TOG side uses what is apparently a battle-group type
> organization for its Strike Legions.

Actually, I get one-turn kills on RenLeg pretty easily; the difference
is that in RenLeg, you have the equivalent of seperate fire controls for
the direction the majority of your direct fire weapons are facing and
missiles.  To get the same effect in DSII, just allow all weapons facing
the target to fire as one, just as if they were all `dual mounted,' ie.
allow weapons of different types to be `gang mounted' together.
Missiles always get fired seperately, which is a bit easier if you
either assume they can be fired during the same Action as the
direct-fire weaponry.  Once you make this change, targets in DSII go up
even more quickly than before; a MDC/4 + HEL/2 + APSW barrage as one
action, all turret-mounted, can be brutal, especially followed up with
two GMS/Ls in the same action.

In RenLeg, always be aware that you can fire multiple weapons at a
single target of opportunity.  Carefully choosing the firing order can
mean you cut huge holes out of the armour that a second barage can take
advantage of (such as firing two large lasers followed by a Hammerhead
Gauss round, the chances are you're taking out a nasty hunk of undercut
armour).  I've considered toying with building RenLeg-like shields in
DSII, but I'm not sure I want to open it up to that kind of psychotic
fun.  :)

--
   Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com / zander@photobooks.com}
  Prefect of the 8,000,000th Terran Overlord Government Experimental

Prev: Re: Wing Commander for FT? Next: Re: Dirtside II rules question