Prev: Re: One thing I'd love to see... Next: Re: (North) American games...

re: (North) American games...

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:26:08 -0500
Subject: re: (North) American games...

In message <vines.sKx7+3MQgmA@bantst.ml.com> FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
writes:
> Hmmm...a rather obtuse point of view:

I admit there are plenty of counter-examples but...

> Fire & Fury
> They Died For Glory
[...]
> Any of the Canadian Wargaming Products(French & Indian, War of 1812 &
> Medieval)...all decent rules sets with original  ideas without scads
of
> modules to waste money on...I sure some of the died in wool SciFi
types
> could provide some some SciFi rules...

...like you hint at, they are historical. JMT comes IMHO from the
same tradition as the historical crowd, cheap, small press rules
that you can use interchangably with your forces.

SF and fantasy games come generally from a fantasy RPG tradition of
creating an official fantasy background and leading player around
them by the nose and selling them official figures.

It's not so easy to include a lavish and constantly expanding
design-system when you're putting together, say, a battalion of
Napoleonic infantry.

..."I think we should redesign the men to mass 200 kgs each, and run
at four times the usual speed, terribly expensive but since their
move exceeds weapon ranges we needn't give them any muskets, just
knives. The increased mass should cover cases where the French have
re-armed with super-extended range rifles from the 1812 technical
readout. I don't think he owns it anyway."...

> and who are those GW people anyway?
> Lost Americans?

*sigh*

You got me on that one. How embarassing. They learnt from TSR and
sent it all back with official miniatures added in spades.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: One thing I'd love to see... Next: Re: (North) American games...