Prev: Re: More GZG product Next: Re: (North) American games...

Re: (North) American games...

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:44:15 -0500
Subject: Re: (North) American games...

At 03:48 PM 12/13/96 GMT, David Brewer wrote:

>Heavy Gear is a (North) American game that nicely represents what
>the publishers Dream Pod Nine's fellow-Canadian Allan Goodall was
>saying about what distributors and shops like about games over in
>(North) America.
<<snipped a lot of true stuff about Heavy Gear>>

Yeah, that's basically it. Funny enough, my local game stores tell me
that
it's more popular now than when it first came out due to all the
supplements
out for it. There seems to be a critical mass point at which people say,
"There's a lot of stuff out for this game, it must be good."

On the other hand, the base system looks fine. The Gear figures sell
locally
for C$5 to C$8. Full Thrust ships sell for C$10 to C$12. This may not be
good comparison since Heavy Gear figures are sold locally (I saw them at
GenCon selling for US$5 to US$8 which didn't make them worth buying for
Canadians). There is about the same amount of lead in a Gear as a fair
size
FT ship. The Gear are modelled in 20mm, which makes them unfeasable but
less
ridiculous than most mecha games. I'd probably buy some if I didn't
already
have a tonne of lead waiting to be painted.

I've been waiting to see the Heavy Gear infantry and (supposedly
upcoming)
vehicles to see if they would work with SG2.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: More GZG product Next: Re: (North) American games...