Prev: Re: One thing I'd love to see... Next: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: Gary Ballard <gdaddy@m...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:15:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Chad Taylor wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Allan Goodall wrote:
>

> > I want to throw something else in here. A friend of mine published a
> > roleplaying game (actually, sort of a generic supplement) a year and
a half
> > ago and is now working on his second supplement (I'm working on the
third).
> > What stores want are supplements. What distributors want are
supplements.
> > And they want lots of them. My friend was told repeatedly that it's
easier
> > to sell a game (to stores) if it has a couple of supplements than if
it's a
> > standalone.
> >
> > Now this might not apply to wargame rules, and Jon DOES have three
games in
> > the one universe. Even still, according to my friend, distributors
prefer
> > supplements. While some new players prefer everything in one book,
if the
> > game is good they will buy all of the supplements. Meanwhile,
players who
> > have never played the game can sample the base rules for a smaller
outlay of
> > cash.  The higher cash outlay is more of a detriment to getting
players into
> > a new game than having to buy multiple supplements.
> >
> > Essentially, one book with all of Full Thrust for C$30 will not sell
as well
> > as a rulebook at C$20 and two supplements at C$15. SFB, of course,
is an
> > extreme example. If the main FT rulebook is maintained as a viable
game
> > without the supplements, it won't fall into the SFB trap.
> >
> > Allan Goodall:  agoodall@sympatico.ca
> > "You'll want to hear about my new obsession.
> >  I'm riding high upon a deep depression.
> >  I'm only happy when it rains."    - Garbage
> >

> I agree completely.  I would also like to add that many players will
not
> pick up a game if it looks like it will not be supported (re-writing
the
> rules is not the same thing).  I doubt if I would have picked up FT if
> had thought it would not have been supported (I saw MT and thought it
> would be).  I'm very glad I did buy it.
> IMHO more than Full Thrust needing anything I would say that DS2 needs
> supplement.  Do something with the Kra'Vak or the Sa'Vasku, add a few
new
> weapons, and of course some rules for logistics (campaign rules).  SG2
> could use the same thing of course.  I would prefer to see an FT
> supplement, but the other games really need Jons attention more.
Also,
> with Epic (GW 1/300) being dead for what looks like another year now
might
> be the time to push DS2.  Just a thought.
>
> Chad TaylorChad,

Just got my new White Dwarf(yes, I am a customer, though reluctant of
GW) and it had pics of the new Epic stuff. Nothing about the rules, but
all the infantry are now on strip bases(long rectagular 5 men to a
strip) instead of square bases. How much does anyone want to bet that
the rules will make using those strips necessary, bringing about the
obsoletion of the square bases and all the models you may have?

Ok, back to Full Thrust, DSII and SGII. Sorry to interrupt.

Gary A. Ballard
gdaddy@misnet.com

Prev: Re: One thing I'd love to see... Next: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)