Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: FMA Fantasy etc.

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792@o...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 23:41:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Allan Goodall wrote:

> I want to throw something else in here. A friend of mine published a
> roleplaying game (actually, sort of a generic supplement) a year and a
half
> ago and is now working on his second supplement (I'm working on the
third).
> What stores want are supplements. What distributors want are
supplements.
> And they want lots of them. My friend was told repeatedly that it's
easier
> to sell a game (to stores) if it has a couple of supplements than if
it's a
> standalone.
>
> Now this might not apply to wargame rules, and Jon DOES have three
games in
> the one universe. Even still, according to my friend, distributors
prefer
> supplements. While some new players prefer everything in one book, if
the
> game is good they will buy all of the supplements. Meanwhile, players
who
> have never played the game can sample the base rules for a smaller
outlay of
> cash.  The higher cash outlay is more of a detriment to getting
players into
> a new game than having to buy multiple supplements.
>
> Essentially, one book with all of Full Thrust for C$30 will not sell
as well
> as a rulebook at C$20 and two supplements at C$15. SFB, of course, is
an
> extreme example. If the main FT rulebook is maintained as a viable
game
> without the supplements, it won't fall into the SFB trap.
>
> Allan Goodall:  agoodall@sympatico.ca
> "You'll want to hear about my new obsession.
>  I'm riding high upon a deep depression.
>  I'm only happy when it rains."    - Garbage

I agree completely.  I would also like to add that many players will not
pick up a game if it looks like it will not be supported (re-writing the
rules is not the same thing).  I doubt if I would have picked up FT if I
had thought it would not have been supported (I saw MT and thought it
would be).  I'm very glad I did buy it.
IMHO more than Full Thrust needing anything I would say that DS2 needs a
supplement.  Do something with the Kra'Vak or the Sa'Vasku, add a few
new
weapons, and of course some rules for logistics (campaign rules).  SG2
could use the same thing of course.  I would prefer to see an FT
supplement, but the other games really need Jons attention more.  Also,
with Epic (GW 1/300) being dead for what looks like another year now
might
be the time to push DS2.  Just a thought.

Chad Taylor

Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: FMA Fantasy etc.