Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:26:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

At 01:37 PM 12/12/96 -0800, Brian wrote:
>> IMHO I think A Mass Battle Fantasy Game is in order.  I know its been
all
>> Sci-fi until now, but JT has a knack for representing complicated
varibles
>> in simple and consice game mechanics; and nowhere is this needed more
than
>> in the Fantasy gameing genere.  And you have got to admit alot of
players
>> play fantasy.  It may be a good business move, if he can get alittle
of
>> that disgruntled Games Workshop (TM) crowd.
>
>I cannot tell you how fantastic this would be... Jon, if you get wind
of
>this, sign me up for a copy now!

I wouldn't hold my breath. As much as I'd love this, I seem to remember
comment from Jon that he's not all that interested in Fantasy.

This is unfortunate. There's a thread on rec.games.miniatures.misc with
few WHFB arguing it's worth while the rest of us argue against the fowl
spawn of the evil GW (can't tell which side I'm on, huh?). What is
becoming
obvious is, to paraphrase Churchill, WHFB is the worst fantasy battle
game
available, except for all the others.
There really aren't any really good fantasy battle rules. I hate WHFB
reliance on super figures and it's style-over-substance attitude. I
enjoy
Hordes of the Things, but it's really too small and there's a certain
lack
of flavour. I haven't tried a fantasy variant to DBM, but I'd prefer
something more "official" and written with fantasy in mind. Leviathan
looks
to be an oversized skirmish set (which is, really, what WHFB is all
about).
I have Martin Hackett's Fantasy Wargaming, but it's not well distributed
(and might be out of print). The only other set I've seen is Legendary
Battles by the writers of the Canadian Wargaming Journal.

We really need a good, solid, intelligent, non-partisan fantasy wargame.
Something definitive, like Fire and Fury or Johnny Reb are definitive
ACW
games, Harpoon is the definitive modern naval game, and (as if it needs
be said) FT is the definitive fleet starship combat game. If anyone can
do
it, it's Jon.

Hmm, here's an idea. How about a project team to build a FMA style
fantasy
game, to be distributed free of charge on the net, but only if Jon has
no
interest in fantasy? With the people available on this list, I'm sure we
could come up with something that could easily compete with WHFB.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]