Prev: Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...) Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Re: A complete turn-around of attitude...(david has nailed the issue)

From: lojeck <lojeck@b...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:11:02 -0500
Subject: Re: A complete turn-around of attitude...(david has nailed the issue)

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Bob Blanchett wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 02:59:01 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >> nearly so... the main difference was that it had very complex ship
> >> construction rules. all in all, I think this was a good thing...
> >
> >I disagree completely. A space-ship in FT is a game-token like a
> >piece is in chess. Simple tokens can make for very complex games,
> >and for very enjoyable ones.

but making the token too simple can limit the variety of things you can
represent with those tokens (frex, a chess pawn can only be used to
represent a spear-wielding soldier with a tower shield)

> David has hit the issue on the head. The addition of this sort of
> detail in combat resolution or movement won't make the underlying game
> better, it'll *just add more detail*

the amount of change I'm talking about wouldn't necessarily add to the
complexity of combat (even though I do like the idea of FMA full thrust,
I'm more in favor of modifying the construction rules. the combat
determination would not become more complex at all.

as an example,

at present you buy fighters for 6 mass a squad and can launch 2 a turn.

in my system, you'd buy fighter squads for (lets say) 5 mass each, and
launch facilities sufficent to launch one squad/turn for 4 mass each.
that
way, you still know how many fighters you carry, you still know how many
you can launch, you just had more control over that while designing the
ship...

anyway, I don't think my changes would make the system harder to play,
just a little more detailed.

I'll hack out a quick-and-dirty version of my FMA-construction rules
over
the next couple of days for use with the current system of combat. maybe
you'll like it!

> --
> Bob Blanchett
> bobblanchett@iname.com

Brian Lojeck
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu

"This is the .sig that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started reading it, not knowing what it was; but now that
they've
been reading it, they notice it because... This is the .sig that never
ends..."

Prev: Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...) Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]