Prev: Re: Why big ships.../modular ships Next: Re: FT3

Re: PDAF/ADAFs

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 05:59:23 -0500
Subject: Re: PDAF/ADAFs

Date sent:  12-DEC-1996 10:47:04

>Incorrect. ADAFs may only attack fighters/missiles that are attacking
the ship
>on which they are mounted or friendly ships within 6". This means that
fighter
>group that is 2" away (in range even for a PDAF) and attacks a friendly
ship
>that is 7" away, the ADAF on your ship may NOT fire at the fighters!
Also if the
>fighter group does not attack anything, it cannot be targeted.

I think you'll find they can.

>Page 17 FT:
>"There are two types of Anti-Fighter (AF) systems:	POINT DEFENCE
and AREA
>DEFENCE. A POINT DEFENCE AF system is only capable of engaging Fighters
that are
>actually attacking the ship equipped with the system - it is purely a
>self-defence weapon. An AREA DEFENCE AF system, on the other hand, may
engate
>ANY Fighter Group that is within a 6" range of the carring ship, OR
that is
>ATTACKING any friendly ship within 6" of the ADAF carring ship."

Read that again.

"A POINT DEFENCE AF..." {snip as we only want the ADAF bit]

"An AREA DEFENCE AF system, *on the other hand*, may engage ANY fighter
group
that is within 6" range of the carrying ship,

 OR

that is ATTACKING any friendly ship within 6" of the ADAF carrying
ship."

The ANY and OR are emphasized to make the point that ANY fighters within
6"
may be attacked by a ADAF. The ADAF only cares about the fighters
actions
if they are beyond the 6" kill zone. The OR bit doesn't even come into
it
unless the fighters are outside 6" range. The "on the other hand", the
emphasis is mine, is to show that the ADAF uses compleatly different
rules
from the PDAF.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: Why big ships.../modular ships Next: Re: FT3