Prev: size of ships... Next: A complete turn-around of attitude...

Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:24:23 -0500
Subject: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

This message is addressed essentially to JMT via MJE since I'm
basically too much of a lazy sod to print it out and post it to
GZG. So I'm sticking it here for the assembled multitude to kick
it around a bit. Maybe I'll post it straight to GZG later if no
one can convince me it's horribly flawed.

I ask for and welcome all comment on this message, and Mike, can
you pass it on to Jon?

I agree with the basic list theme that says "don't arse around
with the game". Equally I understand that GZG need to keep all
it's products in print, all the time and that each re-printing
offers a prime time to revise, update and improve.

I also rather fancy the idea of a system based more strongly on
mass than points.

I'm not, however, too chuffed with "casemates" and "turrets".
Call me a maximizer, or whatever, but I'm perfectly comfortable
with beam weapons being 3-arc weapons first, last and always.
There are plenty of single-arc weapons in FT to oblige players
to maneuver to bring them to bear: submunitions, railguns,
torps, AA's, needles etc.

The "A-battery problem" is solvable in a mass-driven system by
bumping it up to 4 mass.

What I am primarily suggesting is that points be retained, but
only as a simple multiple of the ship's mass.

The points formula would go something like:

Points = Mass * (factor-based-on-thrust + factor-based-on-tech)

Factor-based-on-thrust could just come straight out of FT:
thrust/4 for escorts,
thrust/2 for cruisers,
thrust/1 for capitals and merchants.

Factor-based-on-tech would cover the costs currently borne by
the hull, weapons, FTL drive etc:
(say,) a basic 3 for human military ships,
a basic 1 for human merchants,
+1 for FTL ships (? or not: non-FTL's carry more weapons/cargo)
+2 for a cloak
+whatever for ships using particularly expensive tech.

This latter "+whatever" factor can be used to bump up the cost
of ships using particularly frightening or advanced stuff, nova
cannon, superior sensors, ECM, whatever. I imagine the Kra'vak
would come in at a basic factor of 5 or more.

Fighter groups would cost extra.

Anyway, this way you can price up a mass x, thrust y, military,
FTL hull and then fit and re-fit it with whatever junk you wish
it to carry without having to tot and re-tot the points values.

This whole points system could be written on a single give-away
A4 sheet for those people with FT2, and appended to the well-
overdue fleet book. The core rules of FT need not be arsed
around with at all. Great swathes of irritating arithmetic in
the ship design process are dispensed with.

Now would everybody be happy with this? I'd like to know.

All rights to the above text and ideas waived...

--
David Brewer

Prev: size of ships... Next: A complete turn-around of attitude...