Prev: Re: construction times... Next: Re: Don't ruin full thrust!

Re: Why big ships are too good...

From: obrien@c... (Brennan OBrien)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:39:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Why big ships are too good...

> Space does; the body of the ship is an entirely different matter.  I
> wouldn't want to be a crewmember on a ship hit by an EMP missile.  Not
> only would the Compton effect from the high-speed gamma cascading
> through the metallic walls of the ship fry the electronics in a /much/
> shorter distance than in an airburst, but my body wouldn't feel too
> cheery after taking a cascade-group of alpha.  Ouch.

Okay, so dusting off my particularly bad memories of astronomy and
physics....  Folks, radiation from solar flares is going to cause a
similarly significant amount of radiation to imping on a ship...
wouldn't
this be protected from as a function of advanced environmental
protection?

Brennan

Prev: Re: construction times... Next: Re: Don't ruin full thrust!