Prev: Re: FT III, BIg ships and such. Next: Re: Don't ruin full thrust!

Re: FT III, BIg ships and such.

From: bobblanchett@i... (Bob Blanchett)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 23:20:36 -0500
Subject: Re: FT III, BIg ships and such.

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 22:27:45 -0500, you wrote:

>At 11:37 PM 12/8/96 -0500, Chad wrote:
>>
>>I REALLY don't feel like being forced to buy a new rulebook so
>>that I can learn a new system to replace the one that works great the
way
>>it is.
>
>So who's forcing you? Seriously--and no flame intended--why is there
this
>feeling that once FT3 comes out everyone must ditch their old rules? No
one
>is going to come to your house and require that you only play one
version of
>FT.

Sadly Alan, I have to say that the history of boargames, RPGs and
miniatures would tend to indicate otherwise.

One of the reasons for a rulebook is to provide a common platform for
players to come together to play a game. If the orthodoxy changes
players have tended  to change with it, if only to get a game. The
dreaded "toad" syndrome.

Examples given in this and other threads are ASL, SFB WRG ancients and
RPG's like traveller and D&D.

I'll bet everybody's wallet and bank account has a  story to tell in
this regard.

GZG would be wiser to continue to offer öptions for "bugfixes" and
players should consider looking at house rules and some of the very
good player written alternatives which are already here  on the 'net.
--
Bob Blanchett
bobblanchett@iname.com

Prev: Re: FT III, BIg ships and such. Next: Re: Don't ruin full thrust!