Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Re: Campaign rules?

Re: Campaign rules?

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:40:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign rules?

Rob Paul wrote:
>>>Remember that the displacement volume is only the submerged portion
of the
>>>hull- the hull above the waterline and the superstructure would add a
great
>>>deal of volume.
>>
>>Actually, displacement volume will account for the entire ship.  The
amount
>>of fluid displaced by the ship is equal to the weight(calculated with
>>gravity) of the entire ship.	A 40k Ton ship will displace 40k Tons of
fluid.

>>Mike Miserendino
>
>Yes, but that accounts only for its weight, not its volume;  we were
talking
>about surface vessels on earth for comparison with.  The portion above
the
>waterline may vary widely, eg

I thought when you mentioned displacement volume you were referring to
"displacement volume" for what it is(amount of fluid displaced by the
weight
of the ship) and not the internal volume of the ship.

>1) a submarine 2) a battleship  3) a cruise liner
>
>submerging any of these will increase its displacement, but not its
internal
>volume.  The sub will have proportionately the smallest amount of its
volume
>above the w/l, the liner will have the greatest.

Curious, but what is the significance of the volume above the waterline?
could understand the surface area above the waterline might be important
for
wet navy scenarios to determine the amount available for surface
weapons, etc.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Re: Campaign rules?