Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: FT III, BIg ships and such.

Re: Campaign rules?

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:59:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign rules?

>Rob Paul wrote:
>>Remember that the displacement volume is only the submerged portion of
the
>>hull- the hull above the waterline and the superstructure would add a
great
>>deal of volume.
>
>Actually, displacement volume will account for the entire ship.  The
amount
>of fluid displaced by the ship is equal to the weight(calculated with
>gravity) of the entire ship.  A 40k Ton ship will displace 40k Tons of
fluid.

>Mike Miserendino

Yes, but that accounts only for its weight, not its volume;  we were
talking
about surface vessels on earth for comparison with.  The portion above
the
waterline may vary widely, eg

1) a submarine 2) a battleship	3) a cruise liner

submerging any of these will increase its displacement, but not its
internal
volume.  The sub will have proportionately the smallest amount of its
volume
above the w/l, the liner will have the greatest.

Cheers,
Rob Paul

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: FT III, BIg ships and such.