Prev: Re: construction times... Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...

Re: Why big ships are too good...

From: lojeck <lojeck@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:12:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Why big ships are too good...

that may well be true after all, I am pretty limited in my experience
with
this game...

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Chad Taylor wrote:

> > as much as I agree with you, I think this is the wrong attitude to
take
> > when designing a game. Life isn't fair, but the idea behind a game
is to
> > spend some time having fun, trying new things,etc... that gets
ruined if
> > the game mechanic isn't balanced (to some degree).
> >
> > Mind you, this isn't a bash on scenario gaming (which i do almost
> > exclusively nowadays), I'm just saying that I think a game where
1000
> > points of 100 ton ships is more or less equal to 1000 pts of 4 ton
ships
> > is a "better" game then one where they are vastly unequal.
> >

> I just don't know, I'm not all that sure that the
1000-point-100-ton-fleet
> is going to stomp on the 1000-point-cruiser-fleet.  They may win, but
> don't think it will be one sided.  Taken without screens and a thrust
of
> two a 100 mass ship costs 5 points per mass while a 36 mass cruiser
costs
> 4 points per mass.  Now granted you are only buying screens one time
for a
> 100 mass ship while you are buying them (sort of) three times with an
> equal amount of cruiser mass.  I guess part of the problem I am having
> blindly accepting the big ships are too good argument is that in the
> campaign we are running one of the players (Mike) chose to build two
200
> mass ships in his starting fleet.  They haven't seen combat yet (he is
> holding them back as a surprise, his racial "bonus" was that he could
> build super ships while others could not), but just looking at the
points
> that were spent I don't think they were that good of a deal.	I would
have
> rather had cruisers.	I just don't see it being that simple: large
ships
> are too good.
>
> Chad Taylor

Brian Lojeck
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu

"This is the .sig that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started reading it, not knowing what it was; but now that
they've
been reading it, they notice it because... This is the .sig that never
ends..."

Prev: Re: construction times... Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...