Prev: Cloaking Next: Re: needle beam thoughts)

Re: Escort Agility (was Re: Beam Weapons)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:39:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Escort Agility (was Re: Beam Weapons)

> One way that my group has gone about encouraging the use of B- and
C-class
> beam weapons (and to give the ESCORT range ships a break) is the
following:

> Escort Agility:  Any ship in the ESCORT-range with an effective Thrust
of 6+
> is considered to have Screen-1 vs. A-Batteries.  If the ship is
already
> screened then add 1 level to it's effective total.

Nitpick: The escort vessel already has 3 level of shields (improbable,
but possible), what effect does 4 levels of shields have on beam
weapons?
Is it now invulnerable?

> This rule reflects that it is harder to bring heavy anti-ship
batteries to
> bear on small, agile ships.  Now CAPTIALs will need to take some
B-batt's to
> keep the little guys from picking them apart. C-batt's still prove
useful by
> providing supplemental PDAF functions.
>
> Comments?

Personally, I don't like it, though I'm soon going to be in a FT
campaign
which uses the above rule, plus that AA batteries add 2 levels of
shields.

IMO, beam weapons should be able to hit anything they care to within
effective range. Unless you're assuming 1" is equivalent to large
fractions
of a light second of course (the rules seems to suggest ~1000km).

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Cloaking Next: Re: needle beam thoughts)