Prev: RE: Reflex Field Questions Next: Cloaking

Re: needle beam thoughts

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:13:28 -0500
Subject: Re: needle beam thoughts

In message <961203203911_1617556056@emout20.mail.aol.com> Brian wrote:

> I had a friend use the massed needle beam approach on me one time.

I've been on the other side. Twenty scout ships (mass 4), each equipped
with a single needle beam. I threw most of them at a single enemy
capital ship. In the first turn, I destroyed its wave gun (yeah!!!).
That was it. After about three/four turns of fighting, with over a
dozen needle boats, I rolled one six (except when rolling thresholds,
when I lost either the firecon or needle beam every time).

In theory, it should have been effective. In practise - never again!

For the person interested in point costs of small ships - 26 pts for
this
design of ship (see www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/NeuSwabian/Fleet.html). I
probably had in the order of 5000pts worth of other ships in the battle,
so they had plenty of backup to keep the enemy escorts occupied with
other
things.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: RE: Reflex Field Questions Next: Cloaking