Prev: Re: FT III alternative rules Next: Re: Armored Missiles

Re: boarding actions

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:41:20 -0500
Subject: Re: boarding actions

Joachim wrote,

> I am curious to find out whether anyone on the list has seen any
>  successful boarding actions and, if so, what tactics were used to
>  catch up with the ship to be boarded.  We've been looking at all
sorts
>  of rules geared towards preventing ships from being destroyed
>  instantaneously and one suggestion was that we capture each others'
>  vessels.  Unfortunately, so far no one has been able to successfully
>  match speed with an enemy ship (even a crippled one) in order to
>  board.  As long as the engines are still working, it would seem to be
>  just a matter of luck as to whether you can match velocities.

Almost all the boarding actions I've seen have been against crippled
ships --
take out the target's engines with needle beams and then come alongside.
Against a ship with working engines I agree that it's pretty hard to get
that
close, unless you're both going pretty slow.

One other option you could try is using some form of tractor beams.
There
were several good ideas suggested on this list awhile back; you can
either
check Jerry Han's archives, or (last I checked) Mark Siefert had them
posted
on the Unofficial FT Page.

Scott

"I don't understand what she's looking for!"

"How about a little sincerity"

"Sincerity? I can fake that...."

Prev: Re: FT III alternative rules Next: Re: Armored Missiles