Prev: Council of War, Next: Re: Armored Missiles

Re: FT III alternative rules

From: CMitch5046@a...
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 13:25:53 -0500
Subject: Re: FT III alternative rules

As an alternative means of encouraging the use of B- and C- batteries we
tried the adoption of minimum ranges for each class:
 C Battery unrestricted
 B Battery minimum 6 inches
 A Battery minimum 12 inches
 AA Battery we didn't try this but 18 inches would seem about right
      do you really want to try using it at this sort of range anyway!

This means that if you close against a ship with only A batteries it is
 helpless against you and means that lower batteries become essential (
or
possibly those escorts will have to live up to their name and provide
close
in fire support for the heavy guns fitted on the larger ships. The
rationalle
behind this being that the heavier the beam the more beam ( and heavier)
projectors that must be focussed on the target and each may only be
depressed
by so much.
    I haven't considered whether minimum ranges would be appropriate for
pulse torps ( probably or possibly allow a backwash of the plasma
explosion
to hit the firing ship) or rail guns (probably not as this is a solid
slug).
  We tried the above ranges in a couple of sessions and they certainly
altered tactics with a closing against the larger guns with the smaller
ships
rather than long range sniping. How do other groups feel about these
ranges?
(Or possibly even increasing them to 0,9,18,24 inches for C,B,A,AA batts
- or
are these too long. I haven't tried these but I feel the ideal would be
between these two levels)

Craig Mitchell

Prev: Council of War, Next: Re: Armored Missiles