Prev: Re: SCALE OF FT (LONGISH AND CONTAINS PHYSICS) Next: Re: B5\FT\SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER\Vorlons

Re: A,B,C Batteries

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:09:49 -0500
Subject: Re: A,B,C Batteries

Allan Goodall wrote:
>At 07:11 PM 11/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>   On a seperate note, does anyone use (ever) minedroppers?  I've
found them
>>worse than useless, and even bumping them to 4d (as a beam), no one in
our
>>group uses them.  Does anyone out there bother?
>
>In my recent PBEM game, four ships were given minelayers. Only one
actually
>used it, and the mines never detonated (no ships came close enough).
The
>problem is that they are hard to use and only really worthwhile if a
ship is
>VERY close to you in your rear arc. I'm not sure when you would declare
>mine drop: during combat or during movement. If during movement, it's
hard
>to catch anyone due to the mine's arm time. However, during combat
might be
>handy if the mines didn't take a turn to arm.

We used mines in our Fire in the Sky scenario with good results.  The
mines
were not all powerful, but did dictate how the attackers move their
ships
through the mine field.  Some ships took damage from several mines and
even
a couple were destroyed (small ships).	In order to make it more
interesting, we used a variation of the the mine rules making the mines
active versus passive.	For each mine launcher, the defender was allowed
either launch one mine or move an active mine up to 6" in any direction.
This created a floating minefield which helped the defender when some
mines
were destroyed.  We also allow mines to be destroyed as per anti-missile
fire.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: SCALE OF FT (LONGISH AND CONTAINS PHYSICS) Next: Re: B5\FT\SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER\Vorlons