Prev: Re[2]: APC additions Next: Re: Conventional DS2?

Re: Conventional DS2?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:06:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Conventional DS2?

At 11:25 AM 11/19/96 +0200, you wrote:

>A while ago there was a discussion here on the subject of contemporary
vehicles
>for DS2. Charles Thumann did most of the work, with modifications by
several
>others. You can find the results on Andy Cowell's web site:
>
>http://www.cd.utk.edu/~cowell/min/ds2/contemporary.html

Thanks, Mike. I checked and the URL you list is slightly wrong. It
should be:

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~cowell/min/ds2/contemporary.html

>I wrote an article for Ragnarok (the journal of the SFSFW) on DS2 for
WWII. If
>folks are interested I'll dig it up and post it (it's not too long).

I'd love to see these!

>The reason it works as well as it does is that DS2 is designed to be
"generic".
>If you think about it, SF forces don't have to be "high tech" with grav
vehicles
>or better.

Good point. The one thing I forgot, when I said it might not work for
WWII,
is that for best results you have to use the full range of classes for
the
tech range of your background. For instance, give an M1A2 a class 5 HVC
in a
contemporary game. In a game of Martians versus contemporary UN troops,
the
M1A2 might have a class 3 HVC versus Martian "hover armour." In this
case, I
could see a German "88" as a class 5 HVC, a long US 76mm as class 4, a
50mm
AT as class 3, etc. I can see how this would work.

>Personally, I don't think DS2 would work for troops of a tech level
earlier
than
>say Earth 19th C. but maybe someone can prove me wrong...

I'd have to think about this, but you're probably right.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re[2]: APC additions Next: Re: Conventional DS2?