Prev: RE: What's going on? Next: Re: Conventional DS2?

Re: Another dumbass Q

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 05:16:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Another dumbass Q

<Pine.SUN.3.91N2x.961118113738.4977C-100000@byse.nada.kth.se> Oerjan
Ohlson writes:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Thomas Payne wrote:
> > >
> > > I saw mention of some new weapon types, like Wave guns n suchlike.
Do
> > > they make a big difference to gameplay?
> >
> > They tend to change tactics quite a lot, but they don't make any big

> > difference to game speed and such. IMO some of them (especially
missiles
> > and railguns) needs to be toned down a little - or to be much more
expensive. > >

> Hmm.
>
> But the game balance remains the same? Someone mentioned the railguns
becoming
> a little overbearing.

Well... Railguns are Kra'Vak (ie, alien) tech in the background provided

in FT; and as someone else said, Kra'Vak ships should be about 50% more
expensive than they are now if you use the MT rules straight away. If
you
change them slightly, for example by increasing all railgun masses by 1,

they get far closer to being balanced IMO.

Have you visited Mark Siefert's FT homepage? (Sorry, I don't remember
the
address now, but an AltaVista search for 'Full Thrust space combat'
should find it - or at least one of the many FT pages which links to
it...) You'll find a FAQ, as well as _LOTS_ of various people's house
rules and ideas and different backgrounds and... ...and so on.

> > > And these "heavy fighters". What's with them?
> >
> > A bit more expensive, a little harder to kill...
> >
> Oh, right. And I take it the "fast" attack fighters are just slightly
faster?

Yes. 'Fast' fighters are faster, 'Attack' fighters are better at
attacking
starships. There are some additional fighter rules, too - mainly
endurance and morale - which make fighters better balanced if you play
at
low speeds (<12), or utterly useless if you play at higher speeds (ie,
on
large tables, or measure in cm) - the fighters simply can't catch up
with
anything then...

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: RE: What's going on? Next: Re: Conventional DS2?