Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers/Forever War (Was Re: Starship Troopers) Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers/Forever War (Was Re: Starship Troopers)

Land Battles on Basilisk

From: thomas.granvold@E... (Tom Granvold)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:18:00 -0500
Subject: Land Battles on Basilisk

     While I tend to like space combat over ground, I did find another
possibly interesting fictional source.	I just finished reading the
first
Honor Harrington novel, _On Basilisk Station_.	The final space battle
wouldn't make an interesting scenerio.	A frigate chasing a Q ship the
size of a dreadnought!	The only other space battles is the fleet
training exercises which could be quite interesting, but not enough
detail is given to be useful.

     But on the ground has lots of potential, especially if you change
things a bit.  You've got the marines jumping around in their battle
armour along with the lightly armoured local forces.  There are heavy
weapons, artillery, air support both from grav cars and very small
space ships, and a weapons that fires some type of nasty darts.  The
battle in the book is too one-sided to be interesting with the good
guys (marines and local forces) against a huge number of native armed
only with flintlocks.

    But if ones who armed the natives were to add a little support with
weapons comparable to those of the good guys, then it could be
interesting.
Can the bad guys destract the good guys long enough to allow the natives
to close to hand to hand range.  Then the thousand to one advantage of
the
natives would overrun our marines.  Balanced well, this could be a tense
scenerio.

    Anyway, just a though.  Do the other Honor Harrington novels have
more ground battles?

Enjoy,
Tom Granvold				<thomas.granvold@eng.sun.com>