Prev: Re: List Topics Next: Re: The Delights of Denver

Re: BOO

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:31:07 -0500
Subject: Re: BOO

> John Dunkelberg writes:
>
> @:) "a little non-game conversation" is fine.  However, since I joined
> @:) the list, the signal to noise ratio has been very poor.  Perhaps 1
> @:) "real" message for every 2 I receive from the list... which
> @:) generates quite a fair bit of traffic... (granted that's a shade
> @:) better than USENET)

Wellll... What is noise, and what is a signal? IMO:

* Posts about FT (or DSII, or SGII) rules and house rules are definitely

  'signals'.
* Posts about SF backgrounds are mostly 'signals'. Since FT is a generic

  game which can be adapted to just about any background, discussions
about
  and descriptions of possible backgrounds is relevant - especially when
they
  go into the house rules needed to use FT for games set in that
background.
* Posts about today's weapon systems can be both noise and signals - but

  when they use today's weapon systems as a basis for speculations about
  the weaponry of the future, I think they are signals. Usually.
* Posts about today's politics are noise... except when they start a
  discussion about possible game universes. Usually.
* This is a 'noise' post.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Re: List Topics Next: Re: The Delights of Denver