Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some Next: Re: "Realistic" Systems Ideas

"real" weapons tech thread (was: coupla Full Thrust questions)

From: osiris.1@i... (Warmaster Horus)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 15:19:28 -0500
Subject: "real" weapons tech thread (was: coupla Full Thrust questions)

Adam wrote:

>Seen Janes Defence Weekly recently? The RAF say that the Tornado could
>well be their very last Interdictor. Future proposals for it's
replacement
>include a stand off weapon delivery system using unmanned drones
launched
>from a Strategic Bomber/ Cargo Plane. The Drone could carry
Conventional
>Bombs, Nuclear Ordinance, CLUSTER MUNITIONS etc.

The Pentagon is also working on ground robots that will detect/clear
mines and scan for chemical/biological weapons. They hope to deploy
them to Bosnia.

The USAF has been working for several years to "take pilots out of the
loop" as one official put it. He, an Air Force General, stated that the
current view is that piots are "obsolete" and are the only restrictions
on aircraft performance. Given the limits that a human body can take,
it's easy to see where this idea comes from.

There's an air show this weekend, so maybe I'll get to see some of
these cool aircraft close-up. :)

The Pentagon has been working for many years on "fuzzy logic" computers
that can play battlefield roles. At this pace, all those DSII crewed
tanks will be behind the times before they get built. ;)

Christopher
"Go Steelers!"

Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some Next: Re: "Realistic" Systems Ideas