Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re: "Realistic" space combat

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:19:43 -0500
Subject: Re: "Realistic" space combat

Rob Pruden wrote:
>>Of course, if you did this with small ship engagements it might be
fun, but
>>typical FT battles are fleet engagements.
>>
>>Based on the type of detail you would like to see, you might want to
check
>>out Brilliant Lances which covers about everything you mentioned and
then
>>some.  It is highly detailed and provides a realistic approach to
space
combat.

>Negative.  I've done Brilliant Lances.  *Way* over-complicated for its
own
>good, and not much fun to play.  After playing just about every space
combat
:

Brilliant Lances may be complicated, that's why I stated that it was
highly
detailed and provides a realistic approach to space combat.  If you like
detail it can be fun, but other times the simple approach of FT is a
winner.

:
>FT doesn't always have to be about fleet engagements with the same
>basic weapon types.
:

Correct.  FT does not require fleet size combat, but the flow of FT
makes
fleet sized engagements simple and enjoyable, hence the title, "Full
Thrust
- Fleet Actions in Deep Space".  Same basic weapon types???

:
>I can't believe that this group of gamers doesn't have some creative
ideas
>along the lines I mentioned above.  I may not be on the right track on
how
>to game out such a "near-future tech" setting but I am interested in
how you
>and our fellow FT fans would approach it.  I'd appreciate anything you
come
>up with.  Thanks.

Why not just invent your own rules for this?  FT was designed for the
gamer
to experiment with the rules if they were not suitable as printed.  BTW,
someone did post an optional sensor rules listing a while back.  I'm not
sure who it was, maybe they might post it again.

Mike Miserendino