Prev: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re: REALSPACE discussion

Re: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:35:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

JOn wrote:
>Did we discuss active weapon sensors here, or was it somewhere else?
Hmm..
:
:
>point. There is an article in an old Challenge (GDW) magazine, written
>about the time they were developing Brilliant Lances, about the
unfeasibility
>of beam weapons in space combat - basically you need a super accurate
>estimate of the targets velocity, coupled with a superaccurate ability
>to track your laser with the targets movement before you can even THINK
>of putting enough joules in one place to burn through anything..

The incredible accuracy needed to create a target solution would most
likely
be calculated by computerized fire control systems.  The capability of
the
fire control system would be the chief limiting factor of any directed
energy weapon system.  It is not impossible to generate a target
solution,
even using today's technology for such a weapon.  It is just difficult
reach the full capability of the directed energy weapon.

Many articles have been written regarding the pros/cons of space borne
sensors in combat.  Radar and laser type systems still seem likely to
prevail for years to come as the main type of sensors available for such
weapon systems to operate.

>The main thing about it is that it makes space combat a lot like
submarine
>combat

Yes, space combat does share quite a bit with submarine combat.  I
always
liked the expression found in Traveller:2300, "It's like hide and seek
with
bazookas."

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re: REALSPACE discussion