Prev: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

RE: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 05:33:09 -0500
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Date sent:  29-OCT-1996 11:07:00

>Say for a ship that's approximately
>a 200m sphere, it would have to change it's acceleration enough to be
>100m from it's predicted point in the period between the targeting
>pulse arriving and the energy beam - in that case it's moved 100m
differently
>in .2 of a second. It's a hard G move (and I can't work out exactly how
>hard now as I have the flu and that sort of thing is VERY complicated)

Erm..

To move 100m in 0.2sec is a velocity of 500ms-1. Your acceleration has
to be
much greater than that. (You have to accelerate to 1000ms-1, assuming
linear
acceleration (The area under your velocity v time graph gives distance)
in 0.2,
which is 5000ms-2.) Well, you get the idea.

>but I doubt it's anywhere near 1000G.

It's only about 500G. 8-)

A 9g maneuver (still pretty steep) would give you about 5 meters (18
feet?)
in 0.2 seconds.

>I've always considered this an interesting subject actually. There are
>lots of possibilities apart from hard movement - quick blooming
aerosols, anti-
>battery fire (well if you're going to shout 'here I am' it serves you
>right..)

Have you seen that new gizmo from America that can track a bullet in
flight
back to it's source and return fire? Don't see why you can't do that
with
energy weapons. Track the enemy by his shooting at you.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |