Prev: Re: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: RE: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire s

From: "Mike Wikan" <mww@n...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:11:53 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire s

Most incoming fire trackers for infantry rely on acoustic sensors to
follow the Compressed sound waves to the source of the round. They
are relatively easy to baffle with preparation. The US army has some
Hummers rigged up with them in Bosnia to help with the sniper
problem. Ship vs Ship combat in REAL Life presents us with a nnumber
of possible tactics if we assume sensors are radar reliant instead of
Gravitic reliant. (more reliable to see if that moving object really
IS 10,000MT mass as opposed to a painted balloon) but really useful
mass sensors are still a bit beyond our tech. If I were a starship
captain, I would have something similar to the Traveller Sandcasters
loaded with EM absorbent "stealth marbles" that would double as a
radar absorbent screen and a laser absorptive layer. If the RAM
marbles are dense enough it would also detonate incoming warheads.
You then have "tethered sensors" that you extend past the cloud to
localize your enemy. If the cloud is a halo 2-3 times the size of
your vessel, you simply shuttle back and forth within the coasting
cloud, making it harder to hit you. If you maneuver,you lose the
cloud until it is regenerated. A standoff nuke detonation could be
used to strip the cloud off a target vessel, with follow-on munitions
for target attack. Just my two pence........
Mike Wikan
Game Design\Conceptual Art
n-Space, Inc.