Prev: Re: Campaign Systems Next: Re: Babylon5 Battles?

Re: coupla Full Thrust questions

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:55:03 -0500
Subject: Re: coupla Full Thrust questions

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Andy Skinner wrote:

> Hi.  I played my first game over the weekend--the sample
> scenario with the three frigates and two light cruisers.
> We had fun, though we hope giving orders and making movements
> gets easier.	I like the reasons some people choose to play
> in centimeters, so we used those for measurement.
>
> * If a ship passes two thresholds in one shot, do you do
> the system checks twice?  I assume so, since they'd be getting
> off easier if not.

Yes, you do.

> * About how far apart do you usually start?  The scenario said
> which ships were involved, and how fast they were going, but
> not how far apart to start.

Usually, I start with one fleet entering from one edge of the table and
the other from another edge; with the gaming table I use that means 80 -

120 measuring units apart.

> * I need to mark a spot on each ship for measurement purposes.
> A couple of times we weren't exactly sure whether a ship was
> in range or not, or it made a difference between 3 dice and 6.
> Does anyone grant something in between (4 or 5) if it is really
> close?

All my ships are mounted on 'flying bases'; which makes measurements
fairly easy - measure from the 'stem' of the base. If so close as to be
disputable, I rule that it is out of range.

> * Do you measure before declaring fire?  I agree with not measuring
> for many miniatures games, but you'd think that the distances
> here are measured pretty accurately.	So I'm inclined to allow
> measuring.  What about checking the fire arc of your ship before
> declaring targets?  What about checking the enemy's fire arc (to
> know whether it can shoot at you)?

Well... your Weapons Officer should devote his entire attention to which

enemy ships are in range and arc of your weapons! Of course you may
measure beforehand - otherwise the WO should be court-martialled <g>

> * How much do you know about your enemy's ships?  How big they
> are, what they carry, current condition of systems and how many
> boxes filled in?

I use models of a size roughly corresponding to the 'real' size of the
ship. Nova Cannon and Waveguns are usually pretty obvious too <g>

In More Thrust, there are scanner rules allowing you to get more
detailed
info about enemy ships. If you don't use them (or something similar),
you
only know what you've observed during the battle (or, in a campaign, in
previous encounters with the same ship - I think you'd be able to
identify a design you've seen before, but I'm not sure.)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Re: Campaign Systems Next: Re: Babylon5 Battles?