Prev: Babylon5 Battles? Next: RE: Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)

Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:32:43 -0400
Subject: Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)

Yesterday or so, Aaron Teske wrote (something I managed to delete before

I could send this mail):

[on the size of the Eldar holoflage tech - I'd use 5% of hull mass,
Aaron
prefers 20% or so]

No. 20% means far too much hull mass per weapon. According to Eldar
doctrine, ships should be fast, have lots of firepower, and go BOOM as
soon as someone actually manages to hit them through the holoflage <vbg>
If the holofields are too mass-intensive, the ships will take too long
go BOOM... which (since I don't want to reduce _weapon_ masses on Eldar
ships) leads me to either small protective systems (the holoflage) or
increased available hull space per hull mass (since ether sails as I
envision them are not very mass-intensive).

Although mass is a better deterrent than cost, huge costs will work fine

anyway - and the holofields I've used gives on average the same
protection as level-2 shields, so they shouldn't be much more massive
than that for the Wraithships, and preferrably smaller (but more
expensive).

[on erratic movement for starships using up lots of fuel]

Remember that Eldar ships are powered by ether sails. They don't use
much
fuel at all, no matter how much they manouver. (And yes, I have rough
drafts for ether sail rules too - main differences compared to normal
engines are that their capacities depend on the facing of the ship, and
that they recieve a +1 penalty on each treshold die (large vulnerable
external structures...))

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Babylon5 Battles? Next: RE: Eldar tech, was (something I can't remember...)